22 February 2018

INFORMED CONSENT FORM – HIV testing


Download
INFORMED CONSENT FORM – HIV testing
PATIENT’S NAME

UID

Gender

Age

WARD / BED NO.

S. N
DESCRIPTION
1.        
I ………………………………………………………………………………..(name of patient), hereby give my consent to get my blood tested for HIV antibodies.  I have been explained the relevance and significance of this test, through Pre Test Counselling.
2.        
I understand that the result of my test will be kept confidential. Only on my authorization, my test result will be given to another person. I will be given a post-test counselling by my doctor / trained counsellor.
3.        
I understand following information about HIV testing, as was explained to me.
1.       HIV is the virus believed to cause AIDS. Antibodies are substances made by the body in response to infection. A positive test for HIV antibodies means a person is infected with HIV, but does not necessarily mean a person has AIDS.
2.       Despite the use of the most advanced technology, a small number of “false positive” results occur, that is, the test is positive but the person is not infected with HIV. Also, since it takes time to produce antibodies after the virus enters the body, some infected individuals may not have a positive test for HIV antibodies (“false negative” results)
3.       If my HIV antibody test results are known, it may help my doctor decide how best to treat me for the illnesses associated with HIV infection. It may also help me to make personal decisions, if I am at risk for HIV infection or for transmitting HIV to someone else.
4.       If my blood test is positive and others know the test result, I might be discriminated against by friends, family, employers, landlords, insurance companies, and others. Therefore, I should be extremely careful disclosing my test results. In addition, a positive test result may be recorded in my medical record maintained at the hospital and the laboratory
5.       The hospital has strict rules, in accordance to laws, to keep the HIV testing result confidential from anyone other than me
6.       Hospital will make every attempt to ensure the confidentiality of my test result. However, the possibility of unauthorized disclosure always exists. This might result in some form of discrimination. Furthermore, if this test for HIV is positive or if additional tests indicate that I have AIDS, this information must, by statute, be reported to the State Health Authority (NACO).

4.        
I also understand that
1.       I can refuse to be tested and my refusal will not affect my future care at the hospital.
2.       If my test is positive, I can expect a post-test counselling about implication of the test result
3.       I have also been explained about the procedure of drawing blood and the minimal risk involved in this

Signature and name of the person giving consent

Date / Time

Signature and name of the person taking consent

Date / Time