22 February 2018

INFORMED CONSENT FORM - BLOOD AND BLOOD PRODUCT TRANSFUSION


Download
INFORMED CONSENT FORM
BLOOD AND BLOOD PRODUCT TRANSFUSION
PATIENT’S NAME

UID

Gender

Age

WARD / BED NO.

S. N.
DESCRIPTION
1.        
I here by authorize Dr……………………………………………………………………………….. for transfusion of blood or blood product (……………………) on myself / my patient ………………………………………. ………………………………..(name of patient). I have been explained the purpose, benefits, risks and alternatives of blood / blood product transfusion (including its risks). I have also been explained the consequences of not getting the blood or blood product transfusion.
2.        
Benefit: Blood and blood transfusion benefits patients by treating the blood loss or blood component loss. As blood and blood components are vital to life, it is considered as a life saving treatment.

Risks: I understand that Blood and Blood product transfusion is associated with certain risk. Some general risks of transfusion are given below
  • Mild reactions leading to itching, fever, rashes, headaches (1-5% chance)
  • Shortness of breath, (<1% chance)
  • Blood borne infection (<1% chance)
  • Reduction in immunity (<1% chance)
  • Shock (<1% chance)
  • Exposure to blood borne viruses such as hepatitis, HIV (Extremely rare)
  • Death (Extremely rare)
Specific risks depending on patients’ condition
______________________________________________________________
_____________________________________________________________
Alternatives:
  • _____________________________________
  • _____________________________________

3.        
Consequences of refusal: Not taking blood or blood product transfusion treatment in my case can lead to following consequences,
  • __________________________________________
  • __________________________________________

4.        
I also acknowledge that I have truthfully disclosed, to the best of my knowledge, all medical history and condition, asked to me, by my doctor.
Signature and name of the person giving consent

Date / Time

Relationship with the patient

Signature and name of the witness

Date / Time

Signature and name of the doctor taking consent

Date / Time